Four generations after founding the Shattemuc
Canoe Club, two clubhouse fires incinerating records and trophies,
occasional floods and the errant housecleaning efforts of
new administrations reduced the historical record to only
a few items. Credit goes to past Commodores who preserved
and passed down Club records through the years. The greatest
source of information, however, was the Ossining Historical
Society which provided access to their newspaper files. Most
of the early history was reconstructed from their files, which
have been transcribed and posted on this site.
Of special note are a series of plans drawn
by William Dunn, which he called "Shattemuc Growth through
the Years", and his plan of the 1914-1973 clubhouse.
These have been redrawn for this web site. Lastly, Commodores
Joe Naar and Charles Brieant Jr. provided welcome encouragement
and helpful information.
The chief inspiration for collecting and organizing this history
was designing a foundation for the new
clubhouse in 1996. The former clubhouse was known for
an unexpected nautical feature caused by its foundation. The
new clubhouse foundation was to be made in an area that had
been filled in and built over for many years, and none of
the then active club members could say what conditions might
be encountered during construction. Not wanting to promote
a similar feature in the new club house, a mix of professional
and personal interest lead the foundation designer to search
out the historical development of the Club and eventually
create this History.
Bill Sparacin PE F.
Vice Commodore 1996-99